Sunday, October 04, 2009

Swamp Sunflowers in the garden

Folks,

Maybe 5 years ago my friend Roger gave me a start of Swamp Sunflower for our garden. Not sure exactly what it is but I think it is called Swamp Sunflower, please correct me if I'm wrong. It is now blooming huge in the garden up to at least 12 foot tall. The narrow leaves can reach nearly a foot long and are only an inch wide.

Some flowers are 3 inches wide other may only be an 1 1/2 inch wide. See the tiny spider crab spiders love these flowers.

Below is the main plant in the garden it has spread by seed a little towards the pond. That pea trellis there is 6 foot tall!

Another flower blooming in the garden a long neglected Toad lily I planted when I moved here 12 years ago. Best year it has ever had!

12 comments:

Robin's Nesting Place said...

What cheerful looking flowers! It looks like black-eyed Susan's on steroids!

Ginger said...

The yellow flowers grow wild on the roadsides in Mississippi - I just love them! So cheery.

That toad lily is NEAT!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

My friend gave me some swamp sunflowers, think I hit it with Roundup earlier this year by accident. oops.

Heather said...

Lovely burst of color for the garden and the skyline!

Wilma said...

Our toad lilies are great this year, but we just put them out in August. I hope they survive the winter and do well in the future.

Ali Iyoob said...

Neat looking flowers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Randy~~ Interestingly, my Toad Lily looks its best this year too.

The trellis is six feet tall??? Wow, that is one humongous plant. I'm wondering if it can grow in dry soil or prefers the bog. Either way the flowers are very cheery.

sweetbay said...

Your Swamp Sunflowers look beautiful and very happy! I love seeing them this time of year.

Town Mouse said...

Love those sunflowers! I went to a talk on bees 2 weeks ago, and they stressed how important sunflowers are for native bees. I'm now looking for some California Native sunflowers, next fall I'll have some too.

Jan said...

The swamp sunflowers are blooming here, too. I love their bright color - a sure sign the seasons are changing.

Jan
Always Growing

Dave said...

Nice! I think I've seen them along roadsides here in TN.

spookydragonfly said...

Hi Randy...Thanks for popping into my Odonata blog after my absence. Your blooms are beautiful... I admit, I'm envious! The photography from your last post are outstanding...simply gorgeous! You were so fortunate to make that trip, I hope someday that you are able to go again.