Monday, February 23, 2009

Our Morning Glories

Back two seasons ago when we were having the big drought (does it ever end??, in a mini drought now). We bought these morning glory plants at Big Bloomers Nursery thinking they were Heavenly Blues, oops guess not. later there were a few more blooms, did I mention the drought.

Behind the flowers is one of our two rain barrels I built, cost us $18 each, from recycled pickle barrels, seems some of our North Carolina Mt Olive pickles are actually shipped in to NC from India in these barrels. We watered the morning glories and two other small gardens with about 90% rain barrel water during the drought.

These barrels have a screw top and you can cut out part of it and staple in a screen to keep the bugs out. Then you need a spigot, cost about $8 drill the barrel with a 15/16 inch spade bit and screw in the spigot. So easy if you can get the barrels cheap. The stand was made from deck scraps.

7 comments:

tina said...

Your rain barrel fits right in. I am getting ready to make three of my own (been saying this for more than one year now:( I purchased my barrels at an auto supply place for $12 a piece. Funny about your pickles, go figure. At any rate, your morning glories appear to be very happy. I like the white.

Lanny said...

Nice blog. Our rain barrels have to have a top spigot hooked to a hose that takes the water away, because we are not experiencing a drought. Hey its the PNW, if it isn't raining in the next day or two you know the world has come to an end.

Heather said...

Hey Randy, your word verification seems to work just fine. Guess I will contact blogger and see what comes of it. I hate it when things don't work as they should. Your rain barrel is great. I was thinking about the same thing myself but I don't have gutters to direct the rain into the barrel. I like it when people find innovative ways to have the same benefit.
-Heather

Anna Colleen said...

Those flowers are very pretty. I saw your cats, we have a orange cat too, that is very sad that he lost his eye.

Just Jenn said...

Great rain barrel for exactly the right price!

Jennifer said...

Hi! I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog the other day. I am so glad I did, I have really enjoyed your very nice blog. The pictures on it are gorgeous! I am going to plant some morning glories this year. I think they are pretty and so easy to care for, which is a good thing for me.

Unknown said...

Great idea!